If you have macular degeneration, you may be worried about catching the coronavirus or maintaining eye care during the pandemic. Patients with wet macular degeneration need to receive monthly eye treatment to prevent vision loss. Studies confirm that maintaining a regular schedule of eye injections is important in retaining the vision you have, and missing even one appointment can have a negative effect.
That’s why it’s crucial to continue coming to your appointments. Florida Eye Specialists has made special accommodations for high risk patients to allow those who need their treatments to continue receiving the best care.
What you can expect from Florida Eye Specialists
The dedicated doctors and care staff at Florida Eye Specialists know how important your vision is. That’s why we’ve worked tirelessly to ensure our offices are safe to provide the premier eye care you need. Here’s what we’re doing to protect our patients and staff:
- We are taking all patients’ and guests’ temperatures upon check in, and patients are limited to bring only one guest to their appointments.
- We are performing frequent cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces daily, following all CDC guidelines for sanitation.
- We are requesting that patients reschedule their appointments and employees remain home if they have experienced any fever, cough, or flu-like symptoms within the past 14 days.
- This also applies to anyone who has recently traveled or come into contact with someone with the virus.
- For non-essential services, we are now also offering virtual visits for patients to receive care from the comfort and safety of home. Patients can download our telemedicine app and schedule a video call with one of our eye specialists. Click here to get started.
Maintaining eye health at home
You can also stay healthy and protect your eyes while hunkering down at home. For patients with early, dry age-related macular degeneration: postpone non-urgent doctor visits, maintain home monitoring and continue making healthy lifestyle choices. At home, you can track changes in your vision by using the Amsler Grid. It is advised to monitor at least once a week.
If your doctor has advised supplements with lutein and zeaxanthin, continue with those, as well as an eye-healthy diet. However, if you are taking a supplement for macular degeneration that contains zinc, it is advised that taking additional zinc lozenges for cold or flu prevention may lead to zinc toxicity. Check with your doctor, as your macular degeneration supplement may already supply all the zinc you need to maintain your immune system.
Florida Eye Specialists is here for you
Florida Eye Specialists is taking every precaution to assure the safety of our patients. If you or a loved one have urgent eye care needs, such as regular treatments for wet macular degeneration, contact us to speak with one of our doctors on call: (904) 564-2020. If you have other eye care questions, visit FloridaEyeSpecialists.com/telemedicine to schedule a virtual appointment now.